POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Before and after WIP : Re: Before and after WIP Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:11:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Before and after WIP
From: milco2006
Date: 14 Apr 2007 19:25:01
Message: <web.462161c02cd286fba35dc34c0@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> Cool concept!
>
> My suggestions:
> Regiment is spelt regiment not regement!
> The lighting is not very well balanced, I suggest you add global_settings
> { assumed_gamma 1 } and use some ambient light or radiosity (pitch black
> shadows look wrong with a blue sky).
> The material on the gravestones looks strange, it has pink stripes and
> they're brighter than the sky!
> The text is engraved too deeply, real grave stones enscriptions are only a
> few millimeters deep.
> The wall at the back is just 2 flat colours, it should have a normal map on
> it and shouldn't be pitch black, e.g. pigment { rgb .5 } normal { crackle -1
> form <1,0,0> }
> The sky blue colour is a bit purple, I suggest you add a little green to get
> a more cyan-blue shade.
>
> I like the grass & soil, though I think the soil should be darker than the
> grass but improving the lighting will help you see how they look.
>
> --
> Tek
> http://evilsuperbrain.com

Hey,

Thanks for your comments. You will see my other post in relation to some of
these features however you suggestions are very useful. Especially grateful
for the comment about the spelling of regiment, slight typo during he early
experimental stages!

I notice that in your images the lighting looks really natural and
especially in your reflective ball on the checkered plane the light looks
very natural. I have tried to play with light sources however nothing I do
seems to work terribly well. Currently it is set up with a standard
unexciting light_source. I tried out a more sunset sort of appearance
however it looked really unnatural. If you could give me advice on lighting
I would be very appreciative. If I can get the lighting to work out better
then I may stand a better chance of sorting out the other problems!

Thanks again for taking the time,

Malcolm